I have a couple of computers I work between for the samples I use on this blog and when switching to between of them I got the following error last week.
The project doesn’t know how to run the profile IIS Express.
I verified the project would still run on the other computer with no issues. I also verified that on the computer with the issues the project would still work using
dotnet run from the command line still worked.
Next, I went to verify the project properties. Here I noticed a strange thing on the computer with the error the Debug tab of the project properties was missing a lot of setting. The following is a screen shot of the computer with the issues.
And here is the same tab on the same project, but from a different computer.
After more time that I would like to admit I was able to track down the issue. On the computer with the issue, I often work on projects that are very large which tend to slow down Visual Studio pretty bad. In an effort to speed things up a bit I when through and disabled all the extensions that I could including the Microsoft Azure App Service Tools. Turns out that disabling the previous extension caused the Microsft ASP.NET and Web Tools extension to be disabled as well (with no warning).
The only way I was able to get the project to work properly was to enable both the Microsft ASP.NET and Web Tools extension AND the Microsoft Azure App Service Tools extension. I am not sure why the Microsft ASP.NET and Web Tools extension need the Microsoft Azure App Service Tools extension but based on my experience they are related in some way.
Going through the process of getting Visual Studio 2017 installed on all my machines has been pretty smooth. The new installer works great and makes it much clearer what needs to be installed.
The one issue I have had, which was only an issue on one install, is an error when trying to clone a repo from GitHub. I say GitHub but really it would be a problem with any Git repo. The following is the error I was getting.
Error encountered while cloning the remote repository: Git failed with a fatal error.
After searching I found a lot of things to try. I uninstalled and reinstalled Git for Windows multiple times using both the Visual Studio Installer and the stand alone installer. I finally stumbled onto this forum thread which had a solution that worked for me. The following is a quote of the reason for the issue and a fix posted by J Wyman who is a software engineer for Microsoft’s Developer Division.
After intensive investigation we were able to determine that Git was accidentally loading an incorrect version of libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll due to library loading search order and precedence rules. Multiple users have confirmed that copying the binaries from the “<VS_INSTALL>\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\Git\mingw32\bin\” folder to the “<VS_INSTALL>\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\Git\mingw32\libexec\git-core\” folder completely resolved the issue for him.
Any other users seeing similar problem should attempt the same solution.
I hope this gets other people up and running as it did me. My only worry about this fix is what happens with Git gets updated.