Identity Server: Migration to version 2.1 and Angular HTTP Changes

Version 2.1 of Identity Server 4 was released a few weeks and this post is going to cover updating my sample project to the latest version. The starting point of the code can be found here. We are going to tackle this in sections as there are updates needed for an ASP.NET Core Update, Identity Server Update, and some broken bits in Angular.

ASP.NET Core Update

The sample projects were all on ASP.NET Core version 2.0.0. For each project right-click and select Edit ProjectName.csproj. Make the following change.

Identity Server Update

Right-click the Identity App project and select Edit IdentityApp.csproj. Next, make the following changes.

Next, need to add a couple of Entity Framework migrations to see if there were any data changes with the following commands from a command prompt in the Identity App project directory.


Turns out that there were no data changes for this version so if you are on version 2.0.0 you can skip this step.

Angular Issues

I’m not sure how I didn’t hit this issue on the last update post, but the Client App needs to be changed to use the new Angular HttpClient. I got the following error when trying to run the client application.

An unhandled exception occurred while processing the request.

NodeInvocationException: No provider for PlatformRef!
Error: No provider for PlatformRef!
at injectionError
After some digging, I tracked the issue down to using HttpModule instead of HttpClientModule. To make this transition we need to make a few changes. In the app.module.shared.ts make the following changes to the imports section.

Next, in the imports array make the following change.

Next, in the webpack.config.vendor.js fille add the following to the vendor array.

The last changes are to the auth.service.ts and they are extensive so instead of going through them I’m just going to post the full class after all the changes.

With all those changes made run the following two commands in a command prompt in the Client App project directory.

Wrapping up

This post ended up being more about Angular than Identity Server, but it is nice to have everything upgraded to the latest and working.

The files in the completed can be found here.


Also published on Medium.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *